Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Goa

Well I finished up my internship last week. It was a strange feeling. As soon as I got on the bus in Janauri with all of my bags, I looked out the window at the EduCARE office and suddenly felt alone. Without realizing it I’d developed a home there- a network of people I could ask for help when I needed it and some actual friends. By the time I got to the train station in Chandigarh (the nearest big city- about 5 hours from my village), Janauri almost seemed like a dream that I had once. All the sudden, only five hours later, it felt less familiar. I don’t know exactly what caused that. Maybe it’s just what happens mentally when you know you’re leaving a place for the last time. I think I’ll come back to India, but I seriously doubt I’ll make it out to the village again. A bittersweet ending- I'm looking forward to being home, but I'll miss the simplicity of life out there.

I’ve now transferred to the mindset of a traveler. I mean, I was a traveler the whole time but with Janauri always waiting for me I felt a little more grounded in the country. I’m currently in Goa- the most popular beach state. I’ve seen more foreigners here than anywhere else I’ve been and quite a few westerners who’ve settled in the area. At first, the idea of traveling alone really depressed me since I’m a naturally social person, but after the first couple I got used to and am now really starting to enjoy doing exactly what I want, when I want. The beach where I'm staying, Baga, is crowded but during the mornings it’s a pleasant place to be. In this area there are very few houses on the beach- beach front property is primarily owned by restaurants. There are countless rambling little beach shacks that set up lounge chairs and umbrellas and your payment for using them is ordering food or about a fifty cents an hour. It’s also more expensive to travel here than it was when I traveled in the north. The food and taxis are about twice the price. While still cheaper than taxis and food in the U.S., I’d arranged my budget based on prices I’d paid earlier in the trip, so I’ve gone over budget- sometimes when I try to bargain I'm basing it on northern prices and the drivers tell me I've lost my mind. My real splurge was my hotel. I’m staying in a really cute boutique hotel and my room has a gorgeous four poster bed- complete with mosquito nets and a towering, intricately carved foot board. I also have a balcony and the bathroom has beautiful mosaic walls.

Yesterday I went to Old Goa. I went on Navin’s insistence- I didn’t really want to go that much but once I got there I was glad he pushed me. My inner history nerd got really excited to see the place on the river where Vasco De Gama landed and set up camp when he first came to India- I guess it was the same place Columbus was trying to reach. In that same area sits the largest cathedral in Asia, a really cool little 500 year old chapel- the first church in the area, and another cathedral which houses St. Xavier’s remains. What struck me the most about Old Goa was how beautifully landscaped it was. The gardens were gorgeous- it explained why Old Goa was once referred to as the Paris of the east.

Today was my favorite day though. I went to the largest, most interesting flea market I’ve ever been to. Beautiful hand crafted bed covers, clothes, and rugs made it a cornucopia of colors and patterns while the various handicrafts kept me busy perusing for hours. I chose 4 different bags of incredible smelling tea leaves- mango, chocolate, Indian black, and Jasmin- I can’t wait to try them when I get home. But maybe the most impressive part was where it was situated- it was on one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen- Anjuna beach. I really regretted not staying here- it was only about 4 miles away from Baga (my beach) and five times more beautiful and peaceful. After completing my shopping I sat on the beach and had a pina colada. I don’t think I could’ve been more peaceful.

To finish I’ll make a list of firsts I’ve experienced on this trip to Goa

1.First time riding side saddle on a motorcyle (no helmet of course)- I’d been really nervous to try this but it ended up being way easier than I thought
2.First elephant sighting! Very exciting
3.First time I've taken a walk on the beach with a cow. We watched the sunset together- it was beautiful.
4.First time someone tried to sell me a karma sutra book. I was very amused.
5.Best haggling I’ve done on the entire trip.
6.Tried Goan food- DELICIOUS. I had Chicken Cafreal- chicken with a green masala curry served with green rice. I plan on eating another Goan specialty

Back to Delhi tomorrow to celebrate Diwali (I promise to write about that), the I go on a day trip to the Taj Mahal, a few days in Jaipur, and then I come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment