Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My name is Khushi

I'm writing this with Henna covered hands. Though here it's called Mahani. I found this a little odd seeing as didn't henna originate here? I feel like it should've kept its original name. One of my English students came over one night to do it and apparently she's the best, when the other villagers saw it, they all asked if it was her.

Here in Kanuari I have stepped back in time. Really only the occasional bus and a few motor bikes zooming around remind me we're in 2010. In the mornings I walk down a winding, sometimes dirt and sometimes cobbled path to work. The village is situated in the hills so it's a hike, but it's a beautiful one. Our living arrangements leave much to be desired but it looks like we'll be moving to a surprisingly nice apartment next week. At our current residence, we're renting a couple of rooms from an older woman- they set up a makeshift kitchen outside for us with no fridge and ants crawling everywhere and the western toilet often doesn't work so we resort to using the squat toilet. On the brighter side, we have a very private garden where monkeys come in the morning to steal guavas from the trees and where you can see every kind of bird and butterfly. After a difficult first night here, I woke up the next morning to the sound of crickets and the birds and realized that everything is going to be just fine.

I left Chandigarh on Monday morning and one 4 hour sweltering bus ride later I was in Hoshiarpur- a smaller district north of Chandigarh. There I was met by another intern, Anne-Claire (but we just call her Claire) from France. She took me onto another bus to the village. In order to get up to the house I had to have my first, and so far most nerve racking, motor bike experience. It consisted of putting my giant suitcase between myself and the driver, then holding onto him with the tips of my fingers as we sped through the sandy roads (no helmets). Since then I've ridden more and become more comfortable- but I think I'll always opt for a bus, car, or train when I can.

I've had multiple people come up to me and talk to me in Hindi, confused why I don't know the language. I recently found out why. Here in India, there's an uncommon skin condition that results in light skin with brown patches on it. Though I think normally it's only on the face (I may be wrong there) and the patches are much bigger than my freckles. Still, some people think I'm Indian with that condition. It's made for some pretttyyyy awwkkkwwarrd moments. But it's funny because even when I say "no no it's not a problem, it's fairly common in the U.S. and it comes from ireland," they said, "Problem? Why would it be problem? Just the way you are." I love that.

I'm waiting for another intern to return from Delhi to start my work- He and I will be starting the waste management center here. This EduCARE center is brand new- barely three weeks old- so I've walked into a total starter upper. But I don't mind that as long as I have guidance. In the meantime I've taught an english class (daunting and awkward) and helped out with the after school program. But boy is it HOT here. By the time I walk down to the center in the morning I'm dripping with sweat. And I'm pretty consistently covered with it all day. Yesterday I rinsed of twice AND took a shower. And I still felt hot. I'm looking forward to it cooling down in a few weeks.

During my English class my students gave me my official Hindi name-Khushi- meaning happy. I love it. I'm so glad that when they see me, they see happiness. By the next day my name had spread like a wild fire and at the after school program whenever the kids wanted me they yelled "khushi khushi khushi!!!" My naming is probably my favorite experience so far. Waste management here is really unheard of. As I walk along the beautiful path to my house, the greenery is often covered in piles of trash. Here there is no trash pick up or landfill- people throw there trash out the car window or out their back door. I'm hoping once we create another option for them that they'll come to believe that the extra effort of bring trash to a center is worth it. In the U.S. laws were implemented the 60s against littering but they don't exist here, and in the places where they do exist, there is no enforcement. So we have to count on the hearts and minds of the people here. Considering the warm and loving reception I've had from the people here, I'm hoping convincing them won't be too difficult.

I'm settling into my life here and have enjoyed the few days I've had to adjust but I'm ready to get to work! We will most likely start our environmental work next week and this weekend we're going to Manali- a mountain town in the state called Hamachal Pradesh- it's famous for it's beautiful scenery which are the foothills of the himalayas. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Khushi! I'm so glad to read that you are settling in. Don't let the monkeys steal all of your food, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds amazing. I'm so jealous and proud of you. Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete